Merret Buurman has degrees in Landscape Ecology and Geoinformatics. She loves to combine these two fields of science. Accordingly, her primary interest is the interface between Earth Science and Technology. After some years of working with marine and climate scientists on processing and managing of Big Research Data, she now applies her knowledge of server-based data processing to the Freshwater Sciences within the Horizon Europe project “AquaInfra”, here in the department of Community and Ecosystem Ecology at the Leibniz Institute of Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries (IGB).
- since 2023 - Horizon Europe project “AquaInfra” at Leibniz Institute of Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries, in the Junior Research Group on Global freshwater biodiversity research - glowabio.org/
- 2015-2023 - Developing Data Infrastructures at the German Climate Computing Centre (DKRZ) GmbH in Hamburg
- 2019-2022 - Integrating marine data processing services to the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC) in the H2020 project Blue-Cloud"
- 2016-2020 - Developing Virtual Research Environments for marine sciences in the H2020 project SeaDataCloud"
- 2015-2017 - Management of Big Climate Data, e.g. Persistent Identifiers for CMIP6 climate data
- 2014-2015 - Research Assistant at the Institute for Geoinformatics, University of Münster: Analysis of remote-sensing and land-use data
- M.Sc. at the the Institute for Geoinformatics, University of Münster, Germany (completed 2014)
- B.Sc. at the Institute for Landscape Ecology, University of Münster, Germany (completed 2010)